Starbucks Announces Policy Change Following Viral Video Of 2 Men's Arrest

"We don't want to become a public bathroom, but we're going to make the right decision 100% of the time and give people the key."

After an uproar over the removal of two black men sitting in a Philadelphia Starbucks, the coffee company updated its policies. 

Starbucks released a statement that said anybody is welcome to use its spaces regardless if they make a purchase or not. 

Recommended

Starbucks Chairman Howard Schultz told CNN that he doesn't want the coffee shop to become a revolving door but hopes to create a more inclusive environment. 

"We don't want to become a public bathroom, but we're going to make the right decision 100% of the time and give people the key, because we don't want anyone at Starbucks to feel as if we are not giving access to you to the bathroom because you are less than,"  Schultz said. "We want you to be more than."

After the incident occurred, Starbucks announced that it plan to close all stores on May 29 for racial sensitivity training, and apologized to the two men involved. 

"Once [the training] is completed, Starbucks will make the education materials available to other companies, including our licensee partners, for use with their employees and leadership," a company spokesperson told A Plus previously.

Cover image via pio3 / Shutterstock.com.

GET SOME POSITIVITY IN YOUR INBOX

Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest news and exclusive updates.